Montclair Soccer Club serves about 1,500 players from more than 1,000 families, with more than 80 teams formed to play Recreational soccer!
What is the difference between “Rec” and “Competitive”?
- Recreational teams are formed at each age-group from 5 through U19.
- Each team is made up of 8-18 players, volunteer coaches, team managers, and a variety of other volunteer positions.
- In Rec, players are assigned to a team based on player preference or team need during the registration process, whereas in competitive, players try-out (usually in late Winter/early Spring) to be placed on a competitive team playing at an appropriate level of competition (bronze, silver, gold or premier flights).
- In Rec, ALL coaches are volunteers, whereas in Competitive, teams have professional coaches and/or trainers.
- In Rec, the Fall playing season starts in mid-August and continues through mid-November, with an optional Spring playing season. Competitive teams often train and play year-round with some teams taking a month or two “off” in Winter and/or Spring.
- Most Rec teams play in a single end-of-season Fall tournament. Most Competitive teams play in 3 or more tournaments per year.
- Most Rec teams practice once per week, whereas all competitive teams practice twice or more per week.
- Our Rec teams play in the local CYSA/CalNorth league called Jack London Youth Soccer League, whereas most of our competitive teams play in the wide-ranging NorCal league.
- ALL Rec players have access to FREE professional-trainer led skills sessions in the Spring and Fall, to improve their skills outside of normal practice.
Learn more about our Recreational program in the pages in this section…