Soccer Program for 5 Year Olds!
The U6 program is an in-house program where practices and games are all played against MSC teams. This provides for a fun, community building environment where players and parents form long lasting friendships and of course friendly rivalries. The program is run primarily by volunteer coaches. However; sessions are supported by our professional coaches from 24/7 UK Soccer Academy! 24/7 UK Soccer Academy helps develop the curriculum and maintain a high standard of coaching that MSC strives to achieve.
The sessions consist of 20 minutes of technical training (ball control, dribbling, passing, shooting), 10 minutes of SAQ (Speed Agility and Quickness, using ladders/hurdles) and 25 minutes of game play. Water breaks are incorporated into the 60 minute sessions. Games are played in a format of 3 players versus 3 players, known as 3v3, or 4 players versus 4 players, known as 4v4. The goal of these sessions is to teach the young players the basics skills and concepts of the game of soccer. No score or standings are kept. This program exposes the players to individual ball skills, teamwork, and attacking soccer in a fun atmosphere!
Volunteer Coaches work with the kids in groups approx. 12-15 players per Head Coach. Each Head Coach should enlist 2 assistant coaches in order to keep a rough 1:5 coach to player ratio. Volunteer coaches will also have assistance from professional coaches from 24/7 UK Soccer Academy at the field every Sunday. The professional coaches develop the curriculum and organize a training session to use each week, while still allowing for your ideas and creativity to come to life. There will be a quick demonstration 15 minutes before the start of each session that every coach and assistant coach should attend. Important topics and foot skills will be discussed, you don’t want to miss out!
- All players must wear shin guards fully covered with soccer socks, and soccer cleats (no baseball cleats allowed). All players should wear their Clipper uniform for each session. All players must bring a water bottle.
- Our Under 6 program is NOT “Drop and Roll”! A parent or designated adult is required to be present with each child for the entire session (no exceptions).
Registration is now open! Returning players should also watch their emails for notifications for Spring Registration. New players can register for open spots in late February/ early march at www.Sportability.com/montclair.
Mark your calendars with these important upcoming dates –
- Players must be under the age of 6 years-old and at least 4 years-old prior to August 1st.
- August 1st – Fall Rosters released to Coaches
- August 1st – Uniform Ordering from Soccer.com begins – you will receive a separate email and link for ordering the uniform
- Generally, the U6 Program consists of 10 consecutive Sundays in the Fall commencing the 1st Sunday after Labor Day!
Sunday, September 11th-Sunday, November 13th (10 Weeks)
Positive Coaching Alliance Seminars
- Coaches PCA Class – Wednesday August 26th 7-9pm Seneca Center 6925 Chabot rd. Oakland, CA
- Parents PCA Class –Wednesday September 9th and Thursday September 17th 7pm-9pm Seneca Center 6925 Chabot rd. Oakland, CA – Save the Date – details to be posted on-line and emailed to families. One parent must attend a PCA Class for a family – One time club requirement
Uniforms and Equipment
The playing field is roughly 20 yds x 25 yds. Soccer balls and nets are provided by the Club. All players must wear shin guards and soccer cleats (no baseball cleats allowed) to all games and practices. Families will need to purchase a uniform kit before the start of the season. Home team will wear red and away team wears a “colored bib or penny provided by the club.” Please navigate to the Uniforms page under the Recreational tab for additional information.
Parent Coaches resources
U5/U6 Coaches Guide -Everything you need to know about the U6 program
U5/U6 Parent’s Guide -Everything you need to know about the U6 program including volunteer requirements for your team, where to buy soccer shoes, game etiquette, and helping prepare your child to play soccer. It is a must read.
I am a parent. Are there any meetings I need to attend? – Yes. Prior to the start of the season MSC hosts a New Parents Night for U5, U6 and U8 parents. At this orientation parents will have an opportunity to meet other parents, learn about the upcoming season and Montclair Soccer.
What color do we wear? – In Under 5 soccer, we play all games within Montclair Soccer. Therefore, we have adopted the following jersey protocol: HOME team wears RED, AWAY team wears “colored bib or penny provided by the club.”